Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Review: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens


Be warned, I do have some spoilers listed here. If you’re currently playing this then out of respect for your fellow players and DM's please skip this one.

We started playing on October 1st 2009, and by November 20th we were done. Only playing once a week.

At the start the players were level 12 going on level 13 and by the end they were level 14. I did adjust encounter to match, but everyone enjoyed the story.

The adventure is broken down into a few sections. Initial, Search, City Attack, Warrens and Feywild. Well my party ended up skipping the latter half of the warrens; they simply used a ritual found from previous adventures to teleport to the feywild and went exploring.

The city fights were excellent and well loved by the party however I felt it was a bit much, the encounters didn't seem to make much sense. There was some excellent role-playing in the city both before and after the attack.

I felt Scallymag was not powerful enough for a big baddie, including the changed one at the end. The map with the game was great, and is defiantly reusable. In fact next week I will be posting a small adventure that uses those maps.

What I would have liked to see from WotC

Grid Numbering on the Mini Map
For those of us remaking the encounter map, it would be nice to see an ABC along the top and a 123 along the side. I did this by hand, but it would be nice

Encounter Options
I think it would have been great to help the DM customize the encounter by offering a list of optional monsters to swap out. You don't have to put the full stats, just a few extra.
Example (if your party made easy work of the last encounter, try adding in this xxx)

List of Random Names/Races
I hate this question, players always ask for a name and im unprepared.
Notes on rituals to overcome skill challenges. In the very first encounter the warlord intimidated a troglodyte who surrendered and I was out of names.

Question Summary
At the end of every LFR game there are a few questions that need to be reported back to the RPGA. These questions actually server another purpose that I think goes un-noticed. The questions relate to key events in the adventure and how it was handled. This way 6 months down the road the DM can review the questions and get familiar with what happened.

I know a lot of these are up to the DM to do, but it would be nice to see WotC help out every now and then and add some more tools.


Until next time, keep your dice on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive